Friday, September 23, 2011

Strawberry Shortcake (2011)

So, my husband's grandaughter decided she wanted a princess cake for her 3rd birthday, Cinderella, to be specific. I was kinda excited about this, as I've not had the opportunity to try making a doll cake. I'd bought the Wondermold pan a while ago hoping for an opportunity such as this. I have 4 boys, if one of them asks for a doll cake, I'm gonna be a little concerned!

Anyhow, I researched doll cakes and found some great idea on...you guessed it, YOU TUBE! I love that site. So, I figured out what I was gonna do, and wouldn't you know it? She decides she wants a Strawberry Shortcake, princess cake. I deflate like a balloon for a moment, then decide, no biggie. I can do this. I'll just employee the same method and...hold on a minute, Strawberry Shortcake is like 6 inches tall, max. I suddenly realize that I can't make this massive skirt with my Wondermold. She's gonna look like her legs are far too long for her body.

I didn't expect Gracie wanted her princess on stilts so I had to go back to the drawing board and come up with an alternative plan. I still wanted to do the skirt out of cake cause I was dying to try all the little frills (if you get a chance, look up mackandnorm on You Tube, she has done some beautiful cakes!), so I had to figure out a way to make the skirt smaller.

Well, wouldn't you know it, the wonderful people over at Wilton make a mini-Wondermold cake pan so I head to one of my favorite stores, Michael's, all set to buy a new pan. Wouldn't you know, they were out of them? Just my luck. No biggie, I'll just head on over the Hobby Lobby and...well hell, they were out too. Luckily, one of the workers was stocking their cake supplies and told me she'd order an extra one for me. It came in that Thursday.

Next I had to figure out how to elongate it a bit, as the mini-Wondermold was too small for Strawberry's skirt. I needed a 4-inch round pan. And guess what...yep, no one carries those. Dang it! It's time for drastic measures. I pull out my ipad and go to the second most dangerous place on all the net...Amazon.com. That site has spelled many a disaster for unsuspecting credit cards. Luckily, I find a mini-tiered cake set that comes with two 4-inch, two 3-inch, and two 1-inch pans (so cute!).

So I have all my pans, I've baked my cakes, and I'm ready to decorate. Remember my Lightning McQueen cake I posted a couple of weeks ago? (if not, you can search for it in the search box). Well both cakes were due on the same day. Have I mentioned how slow I am? Like a 3-toed sloth. Or maybe I'm just too much of a type-A personality. Anyhow, I worked on my nephew's Cars cake until midnight. Then I started on my grandaughter's Strawberry Shortcake. Long story short, I was up 'til 6 am but it turned out beautiful. Don't you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment