Friday, October 25, 2013

Paxton's Baby Shower cake (2009)

This is one the cakes I made when I first started cake decorating, as well as my first babyshower cake. I made this for my sister, Carrie, when she was pregnant with her first baby, Paxton.
This was also my first 3D character cake. I mixed a pound cake mix with a regular cake mix to make a heavier cake so it wouldn't fall apart.
I covered plastic blocks with fondant to make the divider. I had some trouble with the buttercream border falling off in places. Now a little more experienced with cake decorating, I realize that I should have made the cake boards a little larger to prevent this. At least I was able to "doctor" it up before the party started.
I also added some quilting and fondant buttons for a nice "blankie" effect. Overall I think it turned out well considering my limited experience with fondant at the time. My sister loved it an that's all that mattered.

No comments:

Post a Comment